Thursday, October 10, 2013

Vegan Creamy Curried Butternut and Acorn Squash Soup

So, I know there is no pumpkin in this recipe but I have to admit that I have fallen HARD onto the "pumplkin everything" bandwagon. Trader Joes is my worst nightmare right now with all of their pumpkin foods. There I said it. Don't judge. That being said, I got these beautiful local butternut and acorn squash from Relay Foods (if you haven't tried them yet, you're missing out-they even have 30$ off your first order of 50$ + with code SAVE30 and no, they didn't tell me to say that) and so I was looking for something to do with them. 

Hands on time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour (Squash + Soup Times)
Calories: wait for it... 101 calories per CUP! Dig in y'all!







Ingredients:
  • 2 medium butternut squash
  • 2 small or 1 large acorn squash
  • 3 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread or stick
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 6 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 package Vegan Cream Cheese (whatever you have, I used Daiya Chive and Onion because it was in my fridge!)
  • 2 Tbsp. curry powder (or more to taste- I used 3)
  • 1.5 Tbsp. garam masala (or more to taste- I used 2)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

Directions:

Squash:

  1. Preheat oven to 375. 
  2. Carefully divide squash lengthwise and place face-down in a large, sprayed baking pan.
  3. Bake until a fork easily pierces the skin (appx. 45 minutes).
  4. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then scoop out seeds and discard, and scoop out the middle and discard the skin
Soup:
  1. Melt Earth Balance over medium heat.
  2. Saute diced onion until translucent.
  3. Mix squash in with onion and Earth Balance
  4. Add curry,garam masala, nutmeg and cinnamon; stir well.
  5. Add broth and stir well. 
  6. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
  7. Add Tofutti and stir well. I didn't have an entire package of vegan cream cheese in my fridge so I used half vegan cream cheese and half vegan sour cream and it came out perfect. Play around with this part.
  8. Blend with immersion blender (or transfer in batches to regular blender) to fully integrate cream cheese and smooth the texture of the squash.
  9. Garnish with cashews, cilantro, or an extra dash of garam masala when serving.
So good y'all, and it made my house smell seriously wonderful.
Diana and guest taster Lucas, both gave this soup a solid "Yup, Alright."  My personal rating was somewhere closer to "Shivers." I feel the need to disclose that Lucas doesn't like squash and yet he ate a bowl and a half.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment